I Adopted Your Ferret Today.
Every day since my birthday has brought a gift to me. I have much to be thankful for. Not out of the woods yet but on the right track.
"Not everything will be okay, but enough things will."
My Top 5 Luke Murphy Moments
5. The nightclub sequence in “Drenched”;
4. His elusive Taxidermist 1:1, which I pursued for 6 months; and then when I finally got it I was so excited I jittered through the whole thing;
3. Our long talk in Manderley;
2. The first time I saw him perform, running down the stairwell as he fell down it, gesturing to other audience members to see if I should get help for this clearly injured performer;
1. The last time I saw him perform Taxi, walking up behind him at his desk in the back office with Frances, and no one else around. We followed him to his 1:1, at which point he turned to us with the most complicated gaze, and went into the bathroom alone.
Now it really feels like the end of an era.
I like two boys. Their names have absolutely nothing in common.
#progress of a kind
Thirty-four. That number is large, much larger than any other one I’ve had to use before. As I always have planned to live at least to 99, I’m starting the second third of the my life now.
Half my life ago, I met my best friend. Half my life ago, I left home. Half my life ago, I came out. Seventeen was a big year. Thirty-four has to be a big year, too.
I carry the past with me every day, and while this is often a strength, over the last year I’ve had too many other burdens to carry. I can’t bring all of the past along for every ride.
Today the slate is clean. For me, for you, for everyone. Bring this next year what it may, thirty-four will be better than thirty-three. 2014 will be better than 2013. That much I can promise.
I like three boys. Two of them have the same first name. Two of them have the same last name. Durp.